Volunteer Opportunities For Physicians
Opportunities for Physician volunteering abound both locally and internationally.
Doctors Without Borders is one of the best well-known. Its 27,000 Physicians from around the world extend a helping hand for victims of violence, neglect and crises. Armed conflicts, epidemics, malnutrition and natural disasters produce many victims that Doctors Without Borders gallantly treat and assist. In addition, free clinics, schools, shelters and the Red Cross all offer avenues to meaningful volunteer work close to home. Many international programs give Doctors the opportunity to travel—usually overseas—while volunteering. Here are some places to explore for anyone interested in learning more about the joys and challenges of volunteering:
- JAMA Network Career Center has dozens of domestic and international volunteer opportunities
- American College of Physicians maintains a member volunteerism networking database
- U.S. Peace Corps offers opportunities overseas, and includes a 50 Plus division for older adults
- American Red Cross is currently looking for health and mental health volunteers for areas affected by Hurricane Michael
- Doctors Without Borders treats people where the need is greatest. They are an international medical humanitarian organization.
- International Volunteer HQ is a New Zealand-based volunteer travel company founded by Daniel John Radcliffe in 2007 with volunteer projects in five countries to now having more than 50 volunteer destinations
- Health Volunteers Overseas is a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit that improves the availability and quality of health care through the education, training and professional development of the health workforce in resource-scarce countries
- International Service Learning, founded in 1996, is a non-governmental organization that offers medical volunteers two- to three-week placements in 12 different countries, including Belize, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru and Tanzania
- Fox Chase Cancer Center is a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center research facility and hospital located in the Fox Chase section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- The Floating Doctors addresses the more than 80% of the world’s population that live within five miles of a coast but still live in remote poverty without access to basic health care. They deploy medical teams by boat, packhorse or on foot to these remote underserved areas.